Pet Registration


The Domestic Animals Act 1994 requires all cats and dogs to be registered with the Council where they reside after the age of three months.
Please note no registration can be accepted without proof of microchipping1.

Details relating to services covered by animal registration fees can be found online.

Dogs currently registered with Greyhound Racing Victoria are not required to be registered with Council.

Payment of fee is not required for registration of a Guide dog.
The Guide dog rate is applicable to an animal owner with vision or hearing impairment (Section 7 of the Domestic Animals Act 1994).

Animal registration fees

Type Fees 2022/23 State Government Levy (SGL)


Unsterilised dog or cat

Declared Dangerous or Declared Menacing dog




includes $4.23 SGL

REDUCED FEE - Sterilised animals 2

Sterilised dog or cat




includes $4.23 SGL

REDUCED FEE - Animal over 10 years old

Aged dog or cat




includes $4.23 SGL

REDUCED FEE - Applicable organisation 3

Dog or cat - Applicable organisation




includes $4.23 SGL

REDUCED FEE - Obedience trained dog 4 

Dog - Obedience Trained




includes $4.23 SGL

REDUCED FEE - Working dog 5 

Dog kept or used as or being trained to be farm working dogs




includes $4.23 SGL


Eligible Pensioner

(Does not include Health care card)


50% discount + $4.23 per dog or cat

refer to calculations shown below 6



Documents required for animal registration

A microchip is a permanent form of animal identification, and unlike a collar or tag, a microchip cannot be lost.
For additional information on microchipping please refer to the Agriculture Victoria website.

Council is unable, by law, to register a new (not previously registered) dog or cat that has not been implanted with a microchip.
Dogs and cats that move into the municipality (even if previously registered in another municipality) are considered to be 'new'.

The owner of the animal must produce proof of microchip implant. For entitlements to reduced registration fees, the owner of the animal must produce proof of sterilisation, membership of approved association, obedience papers, breeding licence, or statutory declaration/tax return for proof of working dog status.

1. Proof of microchipping

If you do not have proof of microchipping please ask your animal's veterinarian to complete the Microchip/sterilisation advice form.  
This form can also be used for proof of sterilisation. You can also contact a Local Laws Officer on (03) 5450 9333 who will scan your animal for a microchip.

2. Desexed / sterilised

A certificate of sterilisation from a veterinarian which includes the microchip number or other information which clearly identifies the animal.

3. Applicable Organisations

If the animal is registered with an applicable organisation (and the animal owner is a current financial member of that Organisation) you are entitled to a reduced rate for registration. Applicable organisations are as follows: 


  • Australian National Cats Inc.
  • Feline Control Council (Victoria) Inc.
  • The Governing Council of the Cat Fancy Australia and Victoria Inc.


  • Dogs Victoria
  • Master Dog Breeders & Associates 

For more information, please click here.

4. Obedience trained

Dogs that have undergone obedience training; which complies with the regulations; will meet the criteria for the reduced fee for registration.

Approved Obedience Training Organisations

The following organisations have been approved by the Minister for Agriculture as approved obedience training organisations in accordance with the requirements of Regulation 52 of the Domestic Animals Regulations:

  • Australian Association of Professional Dog Trainers Inc
  • The Gentle Dog Trainers Association Inc
  • Dogs Victoria
  • Four Paws K9 Training


5. Working dogs

The reduced fee is applicable to - Dogs kept or used as or being trained to be farm working dogs

Image - Working dog info - animal registration.jpg

6. Pensioner Concession

Example of calculation for Pensioner Concession rate:

Animal fees 2022-23.JPG

Animal registration forms

Please see below forms that are relevant to domestic animal registrations within the Gannawarra Shire:

Application for domestic animal registration

Cancellation of domestic animal registration

Change of animal ownership declaration