Public Health and Accommodation businesses


Under the Victorian Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008, all prescribed premises must be registered with their relevant Council in order to operate.

Prescribed premises are:

  • Hairdressing
  • Beauty therapy or similar business
  • Colonic irrigation
  • Tattooing, ear piercing (or any other process involving penetration of the skin of a living human being)
  • Accommodation (such as hotels, motels, Bed and Breakfast, rooming houses)

New businesses

Once you have decided to go ahead with your new business, it’s recommended you contact our office to discuss your business proposal.

A copy of your premise’s plans must be submitted to Environmental Health team before starting construction works.

An Environmental Health Officer will either approve your plans in writing or contact you for alterations and amendments within 5 to 7 working days.

Additional approvals may also be required.

Other Council departments and organisations that need to be contacted when considering opening a new business include:


Organisation Reason

Council Statutory Planning

Town planning advice including parking and signs.

Council Building Department

Building permits and toilet requirements.

Council Local Laws

Permits and advice on Local Laws, particularly advertising signs on footpaths.

Council Rates Office

To discuss what rates and charges are likely to apply.

Lower Murray Water

Advice on water supply, trade waste agreements and grease traps.

Consumer Affairs

Advice on business name registration, liquor licence.

This is not a comprehensive list.

After your plans are approved

Once your plans have been approved you can go ahead and fit out your premises.

At this stage you must also provide an application for registration and fee to the Environmental Health team. To download this form, visit the Forms page of Council's website and click on either the Business Permits and Approvals (for health premises) or the Caravan Parks and Accommodation Facilities (for accommodation facilities) form. 

After registering, you will be sent a certificate of registration. An Environmental Health Officer will also inspect your business before opening.

Pools and spas

Any site that operates a public swimming pool/spa must meet requirements of the Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2009.

These regulations oversee the standards of public swimming pools and public spas.

If not maintained to the standards set out in the regulations, there can be a high risk of infectious disease outbreaks through the use of pools.