Pet Registration


The Domestic Animals Act 1994 requires all cats and dogs to be registered with the Council where they reside after the age of three months.
Please note no registration can be accepted without proof of microchipping1.

Details relating to services covered by animal registration fees can be found online.

Dogs currently registered with Greyhound Racing Victoria are not required to be registered with Council.

Payment of fee is not required for registration of a Guide dog. The Guide dog rate is applicable to an animal owner with vision or hearing impairment (Section 7 of the Domestic Animals Act 1994).

Animal registration fees

Type Fees 2023/24 State Government Levy (SGL)


Unsterilised dog or cat

Declared Dangerous or Declared Menacing dog




includes $4.40 SGL

REDUCED FEE - Sterilised animals 2

Sterilised dog or cat




includes $4.40 SGL

REDUCED FEE - Animal over 10 years old

Aged dog or cat




includes $4.40 SGL

REDUCED FEE - Applicable organisation 3

Dog or cat - Applicable organisation




includes $4.40 SGL

REDUCED FEE - Obedience trained dog 4 

Dog - Obedience Trained




includes $4.40 SGL

REDUCED FEE - Working dog 5 

Dog kept or used as or being trained to be farm working dogs




includes $4.40 SGL


Eligible Pensioner

(Does not include Health care card)


50% discount + $4.40 per dog or cat

refer to calculations shown below 6



Information to assist with your animal registration

Please see below information that will assist with your animal registration. This includes required documents and details regarding eligibility for a reduced registration fee:

Proof of microchip

All cats and dogs being registered with a Victorian local council for the first time must be microchipped before registration. You can be fined if you do not comply. For more information, please click here.

As part of the animal registration process, you must provide proof that your dog or cat has been microchipped. 

If you do not have proof of microchipping please ask your animal's veterinarian to complete the Microchip/sterilisation advice form, which can be found by visiting the Forms page of our website and clicking on the Pets and Animals heading.

If you are not sure if your animal has been microchipped, please contact Council on (03) 5450 9333 during business hours, and our Local Laws team can scan your pet to see if it has a microchip. 

Proof of desexing/steralisation

Desexed or steralised dogs and cats are eligible for reduced animal registration fees.

A certificate of sterilisation from a veterinarian includes the microchip number or other information which clearly identifies the animal.

Applicable Organisations

If your dog or cat is registered with an applicable organisation, and the animal owner is a current financial member of that organisation, you are entitled to a reduced rate for registration. These organisations include:


  • Australian National Cats Inc.
  • Feline Control Council (Victoria) Inc.
  • The Governing Council of the Cat Fancy Australia and Victoria Inc.


  • Dogs Victoria
  • Master Dog Breeders & Associates 

Obedience trained dogs

Dogs that have undergone obedience training with organisations approved by the Minister for Agriculture in accordance with the requirements of Regulation 52 of the Domestic Animals Regulations, will meet the criteria for the reduced fee for registration. These approved obedience training organisations are: 

  • Australian Association of Professional Dog Trainers Inc
  • The Gentle Dog Trainers Association Inc
  • Dogs Victoria
  • Four Paws K9 Training
  • Delta Institute

For more information, please click here.


Working dogs

Dogs kept, used or being trained to be farm working dogs are eligible for a reduced registration fee. Details regarding arrangements are below:

Image - Working dog info - animal registration.jpg

Pensioner concession

Please see below how Pensioner Concession rates for animal registrations are calculated. If you have any questions, please phone Council on (03) 5450 9333 during business hours:

Animal fees 2022-23.JPG

Animal registration forms

Please see below forms that are relevant to domestic animal registrations within the Gannawarra Shire:

Application for domestic animal registration

Cancellation of domestic animal registration

Change of animal ownership declaration