Environmental Health officers can investigate complaints about nuisances such as noise, odour or emissions that are impacting on the health of local residents under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008.

People are sometimes unaware that their activities are causing a nuisance. Gannawarra Shire Council encourages all residents and business operators to talk to their neighbours about nuisance problems before making a complaint.

The Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria website can provide information and advice about the best way to approach your neighbour, and can also facilitate a formal mediation process between the relevant parties.

If the nuisance is unable to be resolved, you can contact Council to make a complaint

Please note: Complainants must be willing to provide evidence in court if the matter proceeds to a prosecution.

Any noise complaints after hours should be directed to the Police.

Other resources

Neighbours, the law and you is an easy-to-understand guide designed specifically for the public.

The guide explains the laws on common neighbourhood issues such as animals, noise, fences and trees.

It includes information on neighbourhood disputes and where to get legal advice and other help in Victoria.