Keeping Animals on your Property

Depending on what animals you want to keep and where you live, you may need a Local Laws animal permit and/or a planning permit.

You don't need a keeping of animals permit to keep the following type/quantity of animal:

Type of Animal  Flats, Units Or Townhouses On land up to 1 hectare, excluding Farm Land On land greater than 1 hectare and up to 2 hectares, other than Farm Land Farm Land
Dogs 2
Cats 2 2 5
Poultry (no roosters) 0 6 30 Municipal Planning Scheme Applies
Large or Noisy Birds 0 0 0
Pigeons 0 50 150
Domestic birds (caged) 2 50 100
Horses/donkeys Prohibited 0 2
Cattle Prohibited
0 5
Sheep/goats Prohibited
0 10
Pigs Prohibited
0 0
Any other livestock Prohibited
0 2
  •  0.5 hectares = 1.236 acres, 2 hectares = 4.94 acres
  • For the purpose of calculating Animal numbers, the progeny of any dog or cat lawfully kept will be counted from 12 weeks after their birth.

How to apply for a Keeping of Animals permit

If you have more animals on your property than what is listed in the table above, you are required to apply for a Keeping of Animals permit. To complete this form, visit the Forms page of our website and click on the Pets and Animals heading.

If you require a permit under the Municipal Planning Scheme, please phone Council on (03) 5450 9333 and ask to speak to a planner.

Cancellation of Keeping of Animals Permit

If you currently hold a valid Keeping of Animals Permit and wish to cancel this permit, please complete a notification form below.

Click here to view form.


Advertised Keeping of Animals Permit applications

Details regarding Keeping of Animals Permit applications currently advertised by Council are listed below.

There are no permit applications currently being advertised.