Caravan Parks and accommodation facilities


In Victoria, all caravan parks must be registered with their Local Government Authority in accordance with the Residential Tenancies Act 2010.

Council can grant registration of a caravan park if we are satisfied the park complies with the Residential Tenancies (Caravan Park & Movable Dwellings Registration & Standards) Regulations 2010:

  • Standards for fire prevention and safety – requiring caravan park owners to  have up-to-date fire safety measures
  • Emergency management planning requirements in case of possible emergencies such as bushfires, floods and severe storms
  • Construction standards for new movable dwellings including minimum energy efficiency requirements and referencing the Building Code of Australia for the relevant technical specifications for unregisterable movable dwellings
  • Caravan park registration periods

We recommend you use the Residential Tenancies Act, CFA Caravan Park Fire Safety Guideline and Residential Tenancies (Caravan Parks and Movable Dwellings Registration and Standard) Regulations 2010 with these guidelines.

Setting up a new caravan park

Before you start construction or structural works you must submit your plans for approval by Environmental Health, Planning and Building departments. This will allow all departments to provide feedback on your plans early in the process, as well as provide advice for applying for any necessary requirements, approvals and permits.

Registering a Caravan Park

When your registration is approved we will supply you with a certificate and you can open for trade. The certificate must be displayed in a prominent position within the premises and remain at the premises at all times.

Registration of your business is for a three-year period.