Children and Early Years
Currently not running in branches due to COVID-19.
Sir John Gorton Library, Kerang - Thursdays, 11am
Cohuna Library, Cohuna - Thursdays, 10.30am
Story Time is a free, early literacy session designed for children aged 3-6 years of age. It is a fun and special sharing time where children and caregivers can establish a love of books and reading. The sessions include stories, songs and a simple craft activity.
NOTE: This program runs during school terms.
Currently not running in branch due to COVID-19.
Sir John Gorton Library, Kerang - Wednesdays, 11am
Rhyme Time is a free, early literacy session designed for children under 3 years of age. Children and caregivers participate together in a fun and relaxing environment. The sessions include songs, rhymes, finger plays and simple percussion instruments to develop early language, literacy and numeracy skills.
Download the Rhyme Time Booklet 2020(PDF, 806KB) to use at home.
1000 Books Before School
Did you know that reading together is the best way to encourage a love of books in your child? Sharing stories with babies and you children helps develop literacy skills that will prepare them for reading at school. The 1000 Books Before School program helps start children on their reading adventure!
How 1000 Books Before School works:
- Keep a record of the books shared with your children in their pre-school years, and aim to reach 1000 before they start school.
- Register at you local library branch to receive your first Reading Record and reading kit to get you started. A library membership is required to join the program.
- Mark, colour or place a sticker on your Reading Record each time you read together with your child.
- Each time you reach a milestone in your Reading Record, bring it in to the library for a special reward
- Every book that your child completes, or actively listens to, counts - this includes stories read at Storytime sessions, day care, playgroup and kindergarten, as well as reading the same book over and over again. You can read books from anywhere - not just library books.
- The program finishes once your child reaches 1000 books, or starts school.