Playgroups bring young children, parents, families and communities together to learn and develop through informal play activities and social interaction. Playgroups help parents and caregivers build social and support networks that encourage and assist them in their valuable parenting role.
They help families to have fun and relax and to build friendships that last beyond playgroup. Playgroups work best when they are inclusive of all, creating an open, welcoming and friendly environment for all children and their families, no matter their circumstances, backgrounds or cultural identity.
At playgroup you get to meet other people going through similar experiences, ease the isolation that can come with caring for young children and find out about local community, health and support services
Playgroup locations and contact details:
Kerang Baptist Playgroup
Location: Kerang Baptist Church (57 Fitzroy Street, Kerang)
Contact: Hayley - 0402 249 825
Fee: Annual fee of $30.00 per family, plus $2.00 per family, per week, to cover the cost of morning tea.
Kerang Family Play
Location: Gannawarra Shire Children's Centre (2 Murray Street, Kerang)
Contact: Tanya - 0407 447 004
Facebook page: Click here
Fee: $1.00 per child. Please bring a piece of fruit to share.
Kethawil Pembengguk Indigenous Playgroup
Location: Northern District Community Health (30 Fitzroy Street, Kerang)
Contact: Damien and Casey - (03) 5451 0200
Fee: No cost. Morning tea and lunch are provided
Mrs Mac's Play Group
Location: St Mary's Primary School, Cohuna (51 King Edward Street, Cohuna)
Contact: Julie - 0428 163 049
Fee: Annual fee of $10.00.
Murra-Bubs & Playgroup
Location: Murrabit Childcare Centre (Gonn Avenue, Murrabit)
Contact: Emma - 0427 707 018
Facebook page: Click here
Fee: Please bring a piece of fruit to share.
smalltalk Supported Playgroup
Gannawarra Shire offers a supported playgroup program, with a facilitator qualified in the smalltalk program.
smalltalk aims to help children positively take part in their family and community; increase families' confidence; offer a chance to meet others; and learn about community resources.
Sessions are held with parents/guardians and children, based on the smalltalk program, which is about strengthening what families are already doing and engaging in everyday activities to enhance their child's development.
Supported Playgroup is for parents and guardians, and their children aged from birth to school age.
For eligibility requirements, call (03) 5452 1357.
Playgroup resources during COVID-19
This year has been difficult for many people, especially parents looking for ways to keep their children educated and entertained.
To assist with these times, Playgroup Victoria has developed a Getting back to playgroup(PDF, 3MB) guide for Playgroups to assist with preparing for a return to programs.
Council has also developed a list of resources that may be of assistance:
Professional Development for Group Leaders
- The Playgroup Victoria website features support , information and online resources for playgroup leaders
- The Early Childhood Australia website features free articles about professional practice, as well as a learning hub that includes online learning modules and webinars (tax-deductible costs may be involved)
- Kidsafe Victoria's website includes factsheets and brochures
- The Let's Read website includes e-learning modules (tax-deductible cost involved) and free downloadable resources
- The Little Big Book Club website features information about age-appropriate books and matching activity and song ideas, as well as access to professional learning workshops
Online library resources
The Gannawarra Library Service's e-library web page features information relating to services members can access for free. These include:
- Story Box Library's catalogue of online, animated stories read by well-known Australians;
- Beamafilm's range of movies and documentaries, which includes a children's section; and
- Borrowbox's collection of eBooks and audio books.
Parenting advice websites
- Created by the Australian Government Department of Social Services, the Raising Children Network website provides ad-free parenting videos, articles and apps backed by Australian experts
- Catholic Care Sandhurst delivers high quality family and relationship services which are available to all people
- ReachOut is Australia's leading online mental health organisation for young people and their parents