Responsible Pet Ownership
Responsibilities of animal owners
- Dogs / cats must be registered with Council.
- Dogs must not be allowed to wander outside the owners' premises.
- Registration tags must be attached to the dog's / cat's collar at all times while the dog or cat is outside the premises of its owner.
- Dogs must be on a leash unless in an 'Off Leash' designated area. For information on off-leash areas please refer to Council Policy 068 - Dogs & Cats - Designated Areas
- Consider others - pick up your dog's faeces. Penalties apply.
For more information on general dog ownership requirements, visit the Victorian State Government website or call the Customer Service Centre on 136 186.
Dogs, cats, neighbours and you
The Dogs, cats, neighbours and you website is an easy-to-understand guide designed specifically for the public. It covers the laws on owning dogs and cats in Victoria.
The guide explains the rights and responsibilities that come with pet ownership, and has been updated to include changes to the laws on dog attacks.
Do you own a greyhound? Please refer to the Victorian State Government website for legal requirements for owners of greyhounds.
The information applies to owners of:
You can be fined for not complying with these laws.
- Pet Greyhounds, including those adopted from shelters, pounds, and rescue groups;
- Greyhound Adoption Program (GAP) dogs;
- Greyhounds used for breeding;
- Greyhounds used for racing.
Fireworks, thunderstorms and your pet
Many pets become frightened and escape during fireworks events. Pet owners are advised to secure their pets and ensure their pet’s safety during these events. Further information on caring for your pet during firework displays is available from the RSPCA Victoria website.