Many people who contract COVID–19 will suffer only mild symptoms. However early indications are that the elderly and people with pre-existing medical conditions are more at risk of experiencing severe symptoms.
The most common coronavirus symptoms reported include:
- Breathing difficulties such as breathlessness
- Sore throat
- Fatigue or tiredness.
Who is most at risk of coronavirus?
If you have travelled overseas or have had close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 you are are at highest risk of infection.
Many people will suffer only mild symptoms, however, early indications are that the elderly and people with pre-existing medical conditions such as heart and lung disease are more at risk of experiencing severe symptoms.
How to reduce the risk of Coronavirus?
Residents can also reduce the risk of Coronavirus by using good hygiene measures. This includes:
- Washing hands often with soap and running water for at least 20 seconds;
- Trying not to touch your eyes, nose or mouth;
- Covering your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve or elbow;
- Isolate yourself at home if you feel sick. If you take medication, ensure you have adequate supplies;
- Phone your GP first if you need medical attention;
- Continue healthy habits, such as exercising, drinking water and getting plenty of sleep;
- Not wearing a face mask if you are well;
- Buying and using alcohol-based hand sanitiser with over 60 per cent alcohol; and
- Getting the flu shot, which is likely to be available from April.
Where can I find out more information?
- Business Victoria has online resources regarding Coronavirus and support.
- The Australian Taxation Office website has information on programs, including superannuation, cash flow assistance and instant asset write-off.
- The Victorian Small Business Commission website has information on mediation services, including dealing with landlords.
- The Fair Work Ombudsman website has information on staff entitlements.
Events and services impacted by Coronavirus
The following events and services have been cancelled, postponed or impacted due to Coronavirus:
Council-supported or organised events/services
- Kerang Community Market - Postponed until further notice
- Black Swan Creek Marathon (28 March) - Cancelled
- Neighbour Day celebrations, Kerang (29 March) - Cancelled
- Ski Racing Victoria Point Score 5 competition, Lake Charm (4-5 April) - Cancelled
- Murrabit Country Market (4 April) - Cancelled
- Kerang Lawn Tennis Club Easter Tournament (10-13 April) - Cancelled
- Cohuna Lawn Tennis Club Easter Tournament (10-12 April) - Cancelled
- Rotary Club of Kerang Easter Art Show (10-12 April) - Cancelled
- Murrabit Lawn Tennis Club Easter Tournament (10-11 April) - Cancelled
- Kerang Quilters Inc. 2020 Quilt Show (11-12 April) - Postponed until 2021
- Murrabit Country Market Easter Saturday event (11 April) - Cancelled
- National Tractor Pull Championships, Quambatook (11 April) - Cancelled
- cluBarham Kerang Cup Day (11 April) - Abandoned
- Kerang Show & Shine (19 April) - Cancelled
- ANZAC Day commemorations (25 April) - Cancelled
- Rhythm and Voice, Kerang (1 May) - Cancelled
- Kerang and District Agricultural Society Debutante Ball (15 May) - Postponed
- Football competitions - Postponed until 31 May