Many people who contract COVID–19 will suffer only mild symptoms. However early indications are that the elderly and people with pre-existing medical conditions are more at risk of experiencing severe symptoms.
The most common coronavirus symptoms reported include:
- Breathing difficulties such as breathlessness
- Sore throat
- Fatigue or tiredness.
Who is most at risk of coronavirus?
If you have travelled overseas or have had close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 you are are at highest risk of infection.
Many people will suffer only mild symptoms, however, early indications are that the elderly and people with pre-existing medical conditions such as heart and lung disease are more at risk of experiencing severe symptoms.
How to reduce the risk of Coronavirus?
Residents can also reduce the risk of Coronavirus by using good hygiene measures. This includes:
- Washing hands often with soap and running water for at least 20 seconds;
- Trying not to touch your eyes, nose or mouth;
- Covering your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve or elbow;
- Isolate yourself at home if you feel sick. If you take medication, ensure you have adequate supplies;
- Phone your GP first if you need medical attention;
- Continue healthy habits, such as exercising, drinking water and getting plenty of sleep;
- Not wearing a face mask if you are well;
- Buying and using alcohol-based hand sanitiser with over 60 per cent alcohol; and
- Getting the flu shot, which is likely to be available from April.
Where can I find out more information?
Gannawarra Shire Council understands the tough circumstances our local businesses find themselves in at this time.
We would like to offer our support and assistance to navigate through the various support packages and government assistance that is currently on offer.
If you would like any assistance or would just like to talk through your current circumstances do not hesitate to contact our Business Liaison Officer, Scott Wishart on (03) 5450 9328.
The Business Victoria website and hotline (13 22 15) contains the most up to date information on business support and is updated as new information becomes available.
The table below contains links to the current available government assistance packages.
For regular updates as they occur remember to download the Australian Governments Coronavirus app. This app is the most up to date information available and has an Advice section containing specific information for businesses and employees.
Events and services impacted by Coronavirus
The following events and services have been cancelled, postponed or impacted due to Coronavirus:
Council-supported or organised events/services
Community events and facilities
Message of support
The Governor of Victoria, The Hon Linda Dessau has published a message to the community(PDF, 76KB) regarding Coronavirus.