The purpose of the Local Laws department is to provide for the peace, order and good Government of Gannawarra Shire by engaging in the following.
- Manage uses and activities on roads and Council land so that the Council is aware of uses or activities which may:
- interfere with the safety and convenience of people travelling on or using roads or Council land
- impede free and safe access for people, in particular those with sight and movement impairment or disabilities
- cause damage to Council and community assets
- create a danger or expose other to risk
- be detrimental to the amenity of the area or enjoyment of facilities on roads or Council land.
- Manage, regulate and control activities and uses on any land which:
- may be dangerous, cause nuisance or be detrimental to the amenity of the area or the environment
- are directed at maintaining a healthy and safe environment for residents and visitors
- promote community expectations and demands about the desired lifestyle and the availability of goods and services
- Identify activities and uses that are not permitted so as to achieve the purposes in the above
- Provide for the administration of the Council's powers and functions.