Two sites in the Gannawarra Shire have been selected to receive upgrades in preparation for the Victorian Government’s e-waste ban to be introduced on July 1, 2019.
This follows a $15 million commitment from the Victorian government earlier in 2018 to upgrade more than 130 e-waste collection sites across Victoria.
Mayor Brian Gibson said two sites in the Gannawarra Shire will receive upgrades.
“Transfer stations at Kerang and Cohuna have been selected as sites to receive funding for upgrades,” said Mayor Gibson.
“The sites were selected by the Victorian Government based on population and accessibility to nearby smaller towns.”
The old Kerang Transfer Station office is scheduled to be demolished during November, with new e-waste disposal and recycling sheds to be built at both the Kerang and Cohuna transfer stations over the coming months.
“The upgrades will mean that all e-waste including any item that has batteries, a plug or cord will be able to be recycled,” explained Mayor Gibson.
To help further reduce landfill, Lalbert Transfer Station has received a new recycling trailer while the Quambatook Transfer Station has seen improvements to accommodate waste and recycling.
“It is important we understand what can be recycled and reused,” said Mayor Gibson.
“In the lead up to the Victorian e-waste ban Council in partnership with Sustainability Victoria will continue to raise awareness around e-waste and how to dispose of these items correctly.”
For more information on e-waste in Gannawarra Shire Council please visit http://www.gannawarra.vic.gov.au/Property/Rubbish/Transfer-Stations#section-6
Date: 24 October 2018
Contact: Communications Officer
Phone: 0409 616 627 between 8.30am and 5pm Monday to Friday.